Authentic recipe makes 4 servings
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour, or more if needed
- 1 cup olive oil for frying
- 1/4 cup fresh mozzarella, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Place chicken breasts between two sheets (resealable freezer bags work well) on a solid, level surface. Firmly pound chicken with a meat mallet to a depth of 1/2's smooth side -inch. Season chicken completely with salt and pepper.Beat in a shallow bowl and set aside.
Combine bread crumbs and 1/2 cup Parmesan in a separate bowl.
Place flour in a sifter or strainer; sprinkle over chicken breasts, evenly coating both sides.
Dip flour coated chicken breast in beaten eggs. Transfer breast pressing the crumbs into both sides. Duplicate for every breast. Set aside breaded chicken breasts for about 15 minutes.
Heat 1 cup olive oil in a big skillet on medium-high heat until it starts to shimmer. Cook until golden, about 2 minutes on each and every side.Place chicken in a baking dish and top each breast with about 1/3 cup. Layer each chicken breast with equivalent amounts of provolone cheese, fresh basil, and mozzarella cheese.Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is browned and bubbly, and chicken breasts are no longer pink in the middle, 15 to 20 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).