A fascinating solution to the leftover Thanksgiving turkey predicament. I want to serve it with warm corn bread.
Authentic recipe makes 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 1 (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chile peppers
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves crushed garlic,
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
In a large pot over medium heat, combine turkey, broth, canned green chiles, tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, and lime juice. Season with cayenne, pepper, salt, and cumin. Bring into a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.Stir in cilantro and avocado, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until somewhat thickened. Spoon into serving bowls, and top.