Grilled Chicken Salad
Inspired by the curried chicken salad that is most popular, this grilled chicken salad recipe calls for an Indian tandoori -style yogurt marinade for the chicken. Afterward it's grilled, stirred together with tangy dressing, and chopped, which includes store-bought mango chutney. Add a bit more ground red pepper, should you want more hot heat.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, split
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves, skinned
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup canola mayonnaise (such as Spectrum organic)
- 3 tbsps fresh lemon juice
1. Combine first 4 ingredients, stirring to join. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Put yogurt mixture in a heavy duty zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken seal. Marinate in fridge for 2 hours, turning occasionally.
2. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
3. Remove chicken from bag; lose marinade. Place chicken, breast side down, on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 10 minutes or until browned. Remove chicken let stand 10 minutes. Remove meat discard bones. Chop chicken and place in a medium bowl. Sprinkle chicken with staying 1/2 teaspoon salt.
4. Add grapes and remaining ingredients to chicken mixture; toss gently to join. Chill 30 minutes.
Wine note: With only a bit of heat in the ground red pepper and sweet-tart mango chutney, Grilled Chicken Salad matches perfectly with a glass of chilled Hogue Riesling 2007 ($9) from Washington. The tropical fruit and pear flavors nicely hark back to the chutney, while the refreshing sweetness and fresh acidity of the wine add textural and zip contrast to the creamy consistency of chicken salad.